The job of a janitor refers to performing heavy cleaning duties like washing the doors and the walls, sweeping the floors, removing trash, keeping indoor and outdoor surroundings clean and performing maintenance activities. A janitor is responsible for cleaning the floors, emptying trash bags, sweeping, mopping, vacuuming, scrubbing sinks and toilets, cleaning restrooms, cleaning windows and mirrors, making repairing adjustments to heating, electrical or ventilating systems, moving heavy equipments, trimming and removing snow from lawns, setting up or removing house decorations and spraying insecticides to prevent insect infestation.
Setting up and tearing down tables, desks, or other furniture for special events are also part of the janitor's duties. A janitor or a janitorial team has to keep an inventory of cleaning supplies, equipment and other related things. Janitors are also in charge of assuring safety in a building; for example clearing hallway obstructions, observing possible fire codes or alerting staff and management of possible hazards.
You must start your Janitor Resume with an objective. The objective has to state what position you are looking for and what skills and qualifications you have for the job. In the next section, you can mention your skills. Mention some general skills as well as well as those which you have gained in your experience as a janitor: maintenance knowledge, ability to inspect and observe faults, understanding the protocol in emergency situations, understanding of the different chemicals used in cleaning.
A Janitor Resume needs to have a section where you add your professional work experience. This section must run chronological from your last to your current position. Present what your duties and tasks were in every position, like instructed your staff members or managed a group of workers. Your last section has to focus on your education. Again, you have to add education from the last training or qualification to the earlier ones. Highlight whatever you feel that is relevant to your application as a Janitor, like certificates that allow you to use chemicals for sanitation purposes.
Janitor Resume Sample
Name: Andrew Clerk
Address: 560 Jackson Street
Marital Status: Married
Birth date: 07.12.1983
A janitor is the person responsible for washing the doors and the walls, sweeping the floors, removing trash, maintaining indoor and outdoor surroundings clean, and performing maintenance activities in a building.
To obtain a Janitor position where I can effectively utilize my strong knowledge and experience.
Professional, motivated and talented janitor with five years experience in the field and a solid knowledge in the cleaning products, equipments and techniques needed in the field.
Skills and Qualifications
- Excellent communication, organizational and interpersonal skills
- Ability to communicate clearly and concisely
- Time management skills
- Ability to work under pressure
- Deep knowledge of procedures and techniques in the Maintenance Section
- Knowledge of the protocol in emergency situations
- Solid knowledge of different chemicals used in cleaning
Janitor, Senior Lifestyle Corporation, Chicago, IL, 2008-present
Duties and Responsibilities
- Sanitized restroom facilities: sinks, urinals and toilets
- Cleaned and sanitized windows, mirrors and walls
- Added supplies in the restrooms
- Vacuumed, mopped and polished floors, vacuumed carpets
- Dusted and polished furniture and woodwork
Duties and Responsibilities
- Maintaining cleaning supplies in a cost effective manner
- Trained employees in the proper use of janitorial equipment and chemicals
- Performed cleaning and maintaining duties and tasks as required
High school Diploma, Englewood School, Chicago, IL,
References available upon request