Music Therapist Resume
More and more hospitals, rehabilitation centers, private clinics and other facilities decide to use music as a way of helping patients deal with their issues. Music therapy encourages people to face their mental or physical problems and learn to accept them and move on with their lives. In some cases, when the problems are severe and the patient needs specialized attention and care, music therapy is combined with a treatment recommend by a psychologist or a psychiatrist.
Music Therapists are considered health care professionals with an educational background in music and clinical therapy, which use music as a treatment. Music helps patients relax, forget about their problems and concerns and also stimulates them to use it as a means of communication. Music Therapists can work with children of all ages and help them understand and accept their problems, with mentally and physically abused people, mentally and physically disabled people and also with those who are part of a drug and alcohol rehabilitation program.
Personal competences and skills as well as previous experience in counseling people using music are the most important aspects when applying for the position of a Music Therapist. Therefore, it is important that you emphasize this section of your resume. Describe all the former cases you've worked at and what results you've had. Education is also a relevant aspect, so make sure your background is suitable for the position you are seeking.
Name: Victory Riley
Address: Crestwood Street, Washington
Birth Date: 24.12.1970
Marital Status: Separated
Driver's License: B category, 2000
Music Therapist is a professional, responsible for promoting mental and physical health through music and also helping mentally disabled patients express themselves by using music.
Looking for a position as a Music Therapist, where I can use my wide experience, passion and skills in order to treat and heal certain disorders through music therapy.
Responsible, reliable and emphatic Music Therapist, with excellent interpersonal abilities and previous experience in working with mentally disabled patients of all ages, I am eager to face new challenges and use my talent in order to assist patients who are dealing with behavioral and psychological problems.
Skills and qualifications
- Excellent oral and written communication skills;
- Compassion and patience;
- Enthusiastic and self motivated;
- Positive attitude;
- Oral comprehension;
- Ability to provide guidance;
- Talent and passion;
- Sincere and caring person;
- Extensive knowledge of music history;
- Playing the violin and the piano;
- Great singer;
- Highly organizational skills;
- Able to work under pressure.
Music Therapist, National Rehabilitation Hospital, 2002-present
Duties and responsibilities
- Counseling, assisting and helping mentally and physically disabled patients recover and communicate through music;
- Teaching patients how to play the piano or the violin;
- Evaluating the patients' problems and identifying their needs;
- Using music therapy to prevent patients from drinking alcohol or taking drugs;
- Collaborating with psychologists and psychiatrists in identifying patients problems and disorders and recommending a treatment;
- Singing to patients;
- Taking them to live musical performances, when possible;
- Monitoring patient progress and recovery process;
- Stimulating, motivating and engaging patients through music.
Music Therapist, Orphan's Hope, 1998-2002
Duties and responsibilities
- Helped children recover from severe or minor trauma using music therapy;
- Calmed children anxiety and emotional instability by teaching piano lessons;
- Established long term relationships with children and orphanage personnel;
- Used music to determine children to communicate to one another;
- Determined children to love music and use it as a means of communication with the outside world;
- Helped children cope with their pain, problems and stressful situations.
Education and training
- Master's Degree in Music Theory and History, University of Washington
- Bachelor's Degree in Music Therapy, University of Washington
- MT-BC (Music Therapist-Board Certified) Certification
- Psychology Training Sessions
Achievements and affiliations
- Designing a successful counseling program for disabled children
- Helping a great number of children surpass their problems through music
- Rewarded by the American Music Therapy Association
Areas of interest
- Children Psychology
- Clinical Therapy
- Piano and violin
References References available upon request