Federal Law Clerk Resume
Federal law clerks perform a variety of duties regarding the disposition of particular cases, but they mostly do the tasks assigned to them by the judge. Their responsibilities include researching legal documents in order to provide supporting evidence for certain cases, preparing legal documents and affidavits and important correspondence, preparing briefs or drafts of motion, locating and interviewing expert witnesses, filling documents and motions with the court, overseeing that subpoenas are delivered to witnesses, arranging lodging or travel for witnesses and last, but not least, communicating with individuals related to particular cases, with the witnesses, attorneys and the judges.
Because these clerks spend a lot of time reviewing memorandums, motions, briefs and other documents, they can perfect their writing and research skills while serving under a judge. Federal law clerks can also accompany their judges to hearings, trials and conferences. This gathered experience has great value, because after two years in a clerkship position, the clerk can move on with his or her legal career.
This is why federal law clerks are usually law students or have just graduated from law school. In this position, they can gain legal experience. It can happen that a federal law clerk already holds a legal or paralegal assistant degree.
Some requirements for this position are: a thorough understanding and knowledge of judicial and legal procedures and law and familiarity with various types of legal documents, legal jargon and the rules of the court.
If you are interested in a career as a federal law clerk, you should take a look at the following resume sample.
Name: Meredith Clarkson
Birth Date: 21 October 1983
Driver's License: Yes
Seeking to fill the position of a federal law clerk.
Education and Professional Training
- Associate degree in law from Drexel University, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 2005 Skills/Competences
- Strong knowledge of procedural legal applications and principles
- In-depth knowledge of general legal terminology, character and scope of statutory and case law
- Excellent knowledge of federal criminal procedures and practices
- Strong knowledge of basic techniques and principles of project management
- Strong verbal and written communication skills and knowledge of modern legal office procedures
- Ability to draft legal documents such as correspondence, pleadings and reports
- Remarkable ability to perform legal research
- Strong analytical and logical thinking skills
- Excellent organizational and interpersonal skills
2004-Present date: Law clerk for Philadelphia Municipal Court, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Duties and responsibilities:
- Preparing drafts for various legal documents, such as declarations, criminal complaints and responses
- Researching federal legal questions
- Collecting and organizing reports, documents and evidence
- Investigating criminal cases and supporting the judge with evidence, subpoenas and trial briefs
- Working with the police, fire inspectors and animal control officers during investigations
- Responding to citizen inquiries and complaints
- Successfully performed confidential and complex legal duties and expanded my knowledge of law
- Federal law
Available upon request.