Director of Communications Resume
Image is said to be everything for an organization, because it helps define the goals and the work for the general public. What people generally see in newspaper and magazine advertisements, brochures, billboards or commercials is the way they understand what an organization aims to achieve and what message it wants to transmit.
The main duty of a director of communications is to manage the image of the company through promotional and educational media material, including through the Internet, broadcast, audio and print.
These professionals are required to have various skills and tools to manage and confront problems and issues. Whether they are working in retail, technology, health, education, business or a nonprofit entity, there are common requirements and responsibilities for this position. A director of communications is responsible for developing and implementing targeted communication strategies, supervising the communications personnel, developing and organizing strategies for communication, maintaining and managing the communications budgets and the subcontracting projects or initiating a strategic direction.
The director of communications will usually assist the communications manager with fulfilling the objectives of strategic communications. Besides that, he or she will share resources and coordinate activities with the staff from the communications department and will implement and initiate activities for crisis communications, in order to make the most of the performance.
Employers require a bachelor's degree in journalism, English or communications, but advanced degrees can also be a requirement. Experience of five to seven years in budgeting, managing staff and planning communications is also a must for this position.
Name: Stephen Mayer
Birth Date: 9 March 1974
Driver's License: Yes
Seeking to fill the position of a director of communications.
Education and Professional Training
Bachelor's degree in business communication from the University of Miami, Coral Gables, Florida in 1996
- Excellent communication skills, oral and written
- Well versed in the usage of Microsoft Excel, Word, Power Point and the Internet
- Ability to lead business and market research
- Proven ability to manage a team of communications and marketing professionals
- Remarkable organizational and interpersonal skills
2004-Present date: Director of communications for Janice Business, Miami, Florida
Duties and responsibilities:
- Planning and handling publicity events and internal and public info programs
- Overseeing the staff of professionals in communications programs
- Planning and managing promotional and publicity strategies
- Producing and directing audio-visual productions
- Developing media relations policy and advising the management department on public relations interview techniques
- Initiating, developing and maintaining media contacts for the dissemination of information
Duties and responsibilities:
- Recommending course of action in routine and in crisis public relations situations
- Acting as spokesperson for the company at media interviews, community and company meetings
- Identifying potential problems related to public relations and advising officials on preventative actions
- Coordinating press conferences, conferences and special events
- Overseeing the development of advertising strategies
- Managing the public relations and advertising budget
- Planning and managing promotional and publicity events
- Directing public relations and advertising campaigns and strategies
Built effective internal relationships with all the departments in the companies and managed to implement successful and appreciated public relations strategies.
Areas of interest
- British literature
Available upon request.