Database Designer Resume
The demand for professional database designers is continuously growing in an age of rapid technology and internet evolution and there is an urgent need for storing huge amounts of information.
Being a database engineer means creating systems which organize and store both new and old data, testing these databases for assuring quality, fixing existing bugs and troubleshooting. The designer must be able to create systems capable of evolving together with the changing technology.
In order to have a successful career in database design, specialized training and staying up-to-date with the latest trends in the IT field is required.
Generally, candidates are also required to have a bachelor's degree in information technology or computer science, but if they only have vast prior experience in the field, they might be accepted for this position. Some employers may look for candidates with a master's degree, if the position requires more complex tasks, or for designers who have participated in co-ops or internship programs.
Database designers with a professional certification by Microsoft could be favored by employers. But these highly demanded professionals don't work only for IT companies. They may also develop careers as independent consultants.
If you want to apply for the position of a database designer, you should know how to write an appropriate resume. Here is a sample:
Name: Stephen McEwan
Birth Date: 10 December 1984
Driver's License: Yes
Seeking the position of a database designer where I can use my skills in evaluating, documenting and designing database systems in a forward looking organization.
Education and Professional Training
- Bachelor's degree in computer science from Princeton University, Princeton, New Jersey in 2005
- Master's degree in information technology from Princeton University, Princeton, New Jersey in 2007
- Vast track record of database modeling and design
- Ability to communicate effectively and clearly
- Strong knowledge of using various programming languages, operating and database systems on multiple platforms
- Proficient with DB2, SQL, OLAP reporting tools and Oracle
- Exceptional time management and troubleshooting skills
- Strong knowledge of programming Internet applications for users interfaces development
- Well versed in the usage of Database Spreadsheet Alignment and Risk Analysis
- Remarkable team player, able to multitask
2008-Present date: Database designer for Strong Fold Technologies, San Francisco, California
Duties and responsibilities:
- Identifying and making recommendations for the improvement of the system performance
- Establishing and enforcing best practices regarding the impact on performance
- Creating and maintaining team strategy and standards for projects
- Acting as a SQL and database liaison and mentoring development team
- Handling the tasks of developing, designing and maintaining optimized databases
- Identified and procured tools for database software for efficient usage and development of the database
Duties and responsibilities:
- Performing physical database design like PPI, secondary indexes, primary and join indexes
- Responsible for monitoring the performance of the system with the help of real- time alerts
- Establishing metrics for system performance and defining mechanisms that regularly tracked performance
- Communicating to management and users about the performance metrics that have been developed
- Troubleshooting in crucial moments and developing state-of-the-art database systems
- Oracle databases
- Future IT
Available upon request.