Set Designer Resume
Set designers are the professionals responsible for designing the physical set of movie, television or theatrical productions. In order to determine the right style for the set, these designers must research architectural and fashion styles and translate them into the final design. They also study the plans and scripts and collaborate with the directors. Set designers have to select wall and floor coverings, furniture and large props used for giving the set the desired look, but also the mood and the appropriate time period called for by the instructions of the director and the script.
After researching the architectural style and the historical period, the set designer will produce scale models and sketches based on these ideas. More and more designers use CAD (computer-aided design) software nowadays because of its efficiency.
These models and sketches are being used as a guide during the construction of the actual sets. The designer makes many changes, if necessary, after receiving feedback from the client or the director. Television and movie set designers usually have a wider range of set designs to work with, but they also have more materials to choose from and larger budgets. Working as a set designer for a high school, for example requires a creative use of a small budget, while live performance and theater set designers have to be highly skilled with interchangeable sets.
Most set designers are required to have a college degree in design. In case of top-level jobs, a master of fine arts may be required by the employer.
If you consider such a career, you should take a look at a resume sample.
Name: Sarah Rodriguez
Birth Date: 12 November 1981
Driver's License: Yes
Seeking the position of a set designer in a reputable company where I can use my knowledge and skills.
Education and Professional Training
- Bachelor of Arts in theatre art from the New York University, New York in 2003
- Vast knowledge of artistic principles such as art and theater history, color and combination and historical interiors
- Sound knowledge of the principles of construction and interior design
- Good sense of drawing, architectural style, painting and good modeling skills
- Exceptional creative and artistic vision
- Remarkable communication and interpersonal skills
2007-Present date: Set designer for Berthold Theater, New York
Duties and responsibilities:
- Examining and analyzing the script and consulting with the designers and the director to develop design concepts
- Conducting research on building interiors and architectural styles relevant to the time period depicted
- Generating detailed working sketches and drawings to communicate requirements or design ideas
- Proposing concepts like the use of psychological, metaphorical or mythological approaches
- Supervising the construction and painting works
- Attending rehearsals and monitoring if the set design integrates with the performance
Duties and responsibilities:
- Working in tandem with the production manager, the director and the writers throughout the design and construction process of the sets
- Supervising the set builders and following the finalization of the set
- Handling the tasks of designing props, while considering technical and artistic requirements of the producer and director and the budget allocations
I received several positive reviews regarding the designs I produced.
Areas of interest
- Interior design
Available upon request.