Opticians are professionals who make glasses or contacts lenses which are prescribed by Optometrists and Ophthalmologists for patients who require visual correction. Opticians have to gather information regarding patients like the facial features or the level of activity and based on this information, they have to decide what type of frame is best for a patient.
These professionals are not responsible only for recommending patients various types of glasses, but they also have to cut, grind or tint the lenses or to verify if the glasses are designed correctly. They also have to repair broken glasses or to respond to any issue regarding a patient's prescription. Opticians are also responsible for keeping patients' records or for training patients on how to clean, to insert or to remove their contact lenses.
Tips for Writing Optician Resume
Your Optician resume definitely has to start with a powerful and enthusiastic objective statement. Write in one or two sentences stating why you want a job as an Optician and what skills you have for this position. In the next section, you have to add your skills and qualifications, but highlight those that are applicable to an Optician position. For example, you can mention the extensive knowledge in using the mechanical equipment needed in manufacturing glasses, your attention to details or your dexterity in creating and repairing eyeglasses.
The working experience is the next section that you have to add in your resume. Mention your previous positions from the most current to the last, describing what were your duties and responsibilities. Don't forget to add your education and training. You have to know that no particular background is required for a job as an Optician, but a high school or a GED diploma is the minimum requirement. When you add your training, you have to know that some states require opticians to be licensed, so remember to add your certification as an Optician.
The Optician's job requires having a lot of patience and dexterity, so when writing your resume for a position as an Optician, don't forget to add these skills.
Marital Status: Single
Birth date: 31.12.1983
From my experience I can state that Opticians are professionals who make glasses or contacts lenses for patients who need visual correction.
Seeking a position as an Optician in a reputed organization where I can utilize and enhance my skills, education and experience in the field.
Hard-working, talented and motivated Optician with extensive experience in providing optical care for patients.
Skills and Qualifications
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Excellent organizational, analytical and time management skills
- Extensive knowledge of design techniques, principles, tools and instruments used in the optical industry
- Ability to add, multiply or divide rapidly and correctly.
Dispensing Optician, Contact Lens Institute, New York, NY, 2007-present
Duties and Responsibilities
- Analyzed client's optical prescription to determine the lens specifications required
- Measured and interpreted the client's facial features
- Provided assistance to customers when selecting the style of their frames, the size and shape which best suit their facial features and their optical prescription
Dispensing Optician, SVS Vision, Detroit, MI, 2003-2007
Duties and Responsibilities
- Determined the client's lens prescription by using lensometer and the client's eyeglasses
- Provided recommendation regarding specific lenses and frames which fit the client's needs
- Fixed damaged lenses
- Purchased various optical products.
Bachelor's in Optical Management, George Washington University, Washington, DC
Achievements and Affiliations
Member of the Optical Society of America
Areas of Interest
References available upon request