Optometrists are responsible for diagnosing and treating vision problems, for prescribing eyeglasses and medication for ocular conditions.
The duties of optometrists refer to discussing with patients in order to obtain a detailed health history; examining patients in order to discover signs of vision defects or diseases; using specialized equipment to diagnose and test patients. Optometrists offer prescriptions for contact lenses or eye glasses and they adjust prescribed lenses. These specialists are also responsible for offering patient's advice regarding vision-related issues; they also provide advice to patients on what frames and lenses to choose. Among the duties mentioned, optometrists can write referrals to other eye doctors or other medical practitioners when discovering patients with serious ophthalmic conditions. Optometrist Resume Writing Tips
Your optometrist resume can start with the contact information, with an introduction and a short qualifications summary. Then, you have to add the objective statement that has to show your motivation on the optometrist position and your desire to apply for the job offered by the company. The next section of your resume has to be a bullet pointed list of your skills and capabilities. Here you can add your strong analytical skills and your keen attention to details.
The following section of your resume has to focus on your work experience. Talk about your duties and responsibilities in your previous positions like diagnosed and treated vision problems, prescribed eyeglasses and medication for ocular conditions. In the next section, you can add your education. Here you can add your degrees and courses in Optometry. When listing your training, don't forget to add the name of the degree, the school you attended and the location of the school.
Optometrists need to possess great organizational and interpersonal skills. These specialists need to make sound decisions based on their ethical and professional standards.
Name: Susan Adams
Address: 37 Gales Street
Marital Status: Married
Birth Date: 10.05.1978
To obtain an Optometrist position in a growth-oriented company where I can fully utilize my great time-management skills and my strong educational background.
Professional optometrist with over 7 years of experience in optometry with the ability to help patients improve their visual standards; with excellent organizational skills and ability to work under pressure.
Skills and Qualifications
- Excellent leadership skills
- Strong time management and people-management skills
- Proficiency in using computer programs and applications
- Outstanding ability to communicate efficiently with patients
- Deep knowledge in the instruments and techniques used in optometry.
Optometrist, The Eye Group, Northwest, OH, 2008-present
Duties and Responsibilities
- Prescribed eye glasses and lenses to patients in order to improve their visual standards
- Examined patients and offered them an accurate and correct diagnose
- Informed patients regarding their visual conditions and referred them to other eye specialists when needed
- Prescribed medications for treating various eye diseases and disorders
- Provided advice to patients on their prescription glasses.
Optometrist Assistant, Eye Care Associates, Raleigh, NC, 2003-2008
Duties and Responsibilities
- Helped the Optometrist perform tests on patients who have problems with their vision
- Made appointments for patients and verified the schedule of the Optometrist
- Contacted patients when their lenses or eye glasses were ready
- Made sure that patients receive quality health care inside the facility
- Performed adjustments to contact lenses
- Responsible for the inventory of materials and instruments.
Master's Degree in Optometry, North Carolina State University
Bachelor's of Science in Optometry, North Carolina State University
Achievements and Affiliations
Member of the American Optometric Association since 2006
Areas of Interest
References available upon request