Most of us would rather evade the thought that one day we will have no choice but to replace our missing teeth with dentures and crowns. When we will get to this point, we will need to visit a prosthodontist, a specialized dentist who builds permanent or removable fake teeth. These dentists will also help people improve their chewing and speech and also those who wish a winning smile, by properly fitting their mouth with prosthetic dental structures.
A prosthodontist is responsible for building dental implants and structures to correct oral deformities, replace missing teeth and improve basic functions, like for example eating or speaking. These professionals also design and construct prostheses like denture, bridges and crowns and accurately measure the mouth of a patient with the help of dental articulators, face bows and other tools.
Prosthodontists also have the duty to repair and adjust prostheses, to whiten teeth, take mouth impressions and oversee laboratory employees and dental technicians who assist with the building of dental fixtures.
Those who want to become dentists need to attend a dental school for four years and obtain a bachelor's degree. Dental programs consist of laboratory and classroom work on subjects like biochemistry, anatomy, physiology, microbiology, laboratory techniques and science. Students are also required to acquire on the job training under the direction and supervision of a licensed dentist, usually in a dental clinic. If you are interested in a career as a prosthodontist, you should read the following resume sample.
Name: Diane Button
Birth Date: 27 April 1977
Driver's License: Yes
Seeking to fill the challenging position of a prosthodontist in a reputable organization.
Education and Professional Training
- Bachelor's degree in dental surgery from the New York University, New York in 1999
- Detail-oriented with good organizational and time management skills
- Ability to handle multiple tasks and work under pressure
- In-depth knowledge of the techniques and principles related to dental treatments
- Excellent decision- making and analytical skills
- Sound knowledge of operating dental surgical equipment
- Strong knowledge of minor and major dental problems and its solutions
2005-Present date: Prosthodontist for Mendez Dental Clinic, New York
Duties and responsibilities:
- Replacing teeth and other oral structures, including bridges, crowns and dentures
- Designing and fabricating dental prostheses
- Taking impressions of the teeth and jaws of patients to determine the shape and size of dental prostheses
- Utilizing bonding technology on teeth
- Bleaching discolored teeth to whiten and brighten them
- Handling the task of treating jaw joint problems and facial pain
Duties and responsibilities:
- Maintaining and restoring the oral functions of dental patients
- Handling tasks of correcting inborn and natural deformation of jaws and mouth by using various prosthetic appliances
- Replacing oral structures and missing teeth with artificial teeth to improve chewing, speech and appearance
- Repairing and adjusting prostheses and overseeing laboratory employees and dental technicians
- Performing major and minor dental surgeries
- Member of the American Association of Prosthodontists
Available upon request.