General Counsel Resume
A General Counsel is responsible for coordinating the activity of other lawyers within a corporation and liaising with other general counsels of a company. The main duty of the General Counsel is to present various legal options to the board of directors within a company.
The working activities of a General Counsel involve making sure that the company is working in compliance with the law. General Counsels have to recognize the problems and issues that a company can face and to select the best solutions to solve them. They have to perform the necessary legal actions in order to prevent the company from facing the risk of exposure that can affect the image and the business. Among the tasks and duties mentioned above, a General Counsel also has to supervise a company's audit and compliance functions and also to make sure that these comply with the objectives of the business department.
When writing a General Counsel Resume, the first things you have to add are the contact information, a short introduction, the summary and the objective statement. After you add these sections, your next section should focus on your skills. This should be a bullet pointed section with your most important and valuable skills as a General Counsel. For example, here you can add your exceptional problem-solving skills and your strong communication skills used to maintain effective relations with customers, employees and management.
In the next section of your Resume you should highlight your work experience. Add your duties and responsibilities on every position so that the employer can see how you provided quality services to companies. The next section of your Resume should focus on your education. Usually, for a position as a General Counsel, the best thing is to have a Degree in Law and a clear understanding of legal matters like properties or finance. When adding your education, you have to write the name of the high school you attended and the location. Write additional computer courses or certifications.
General Counsels are required to possess extensive understanding of several of legal issues and matters. They also need to have strong leadership and management skills.
General Counsel Resume Sample
Name: Jack Fairstein
Address: 528 Mitchell Street
Marital Status: Married
Birth date: 28.03.1978
Looking to obtain a challenging and rewarding position as a General Counsel in a well-reputed company where I can use my experience, education and skills in order to ensure that a company complies with the required laws and regulations
Trained and licensed General Counsel who possesses nine years experience in providing legal counseling and advice to companies; strong experience and expertise in the legal matters of various business organizations
Skills and qualifications
- Strong interpersonal and organizational skills
- Ability to work under pressure
- Ability to supervise, coordinate and evaluate a team
- Possess exceptional public communication skills
- Strong expertise in litigation and employment law
- Proficient in using MS Office programs
- Excellent time-management skills and ability to multi-task
- Great presentation and coordination skills
General Counsel, CBS Corporation, Los Angeles, CA, 2007- present
Duties and responsibilities
- Acted as a business partner and provided strategic legal and business advises to the company
- Overseen the corporate compliance and the international transactions of the firm
- Responsible for the evaluation and domestic litigation management
- Provided legal and strategic advices regarding various business aspects of the company
Duties and responsibilities
- Supported the management department and provided the best legal advices and risk management
- Responsible for the legal transactions and practices of the company
- Negotiated terms and conditions for trademark licenses, commercial and consulting agreements and other contracts
- Handled and resolved consumer complaints
Master's Degree in Law, Yale University
Bachelor's Degree in Law, Yale University
Achievements and affiliations
Member of the Associations of Corporate Counsels since 2005
Areas of interest
available upon request