Paralegals are professional workers, who assist and help lawyers with paperwork and other duties of lawyers. These professionals are mainly responsible for helping lawyers with research. They have to search and check public records for various data, to gather and analyze information or to review medical records. They are also responsible for writing and submitting legal documents, for summarizing depositions, writing briefs, pleadings or discovery documents.
Paralegals can also manage and coordinate cases and help lawyers with the preparation of a trial. They have to compare various cases and facts and to validate them. Paralegals are responsible for performing preliminary research when preparing legal documents and for interviewing clients or witnesses. Paralegals also have to organize documents of case proceedings or other paperwork.
Start your Paralegal resume with the contact information: name, address and phone number; then add a short introduction describing what this positions means to you. You can also add the summary qualifications describing your most important skills and qualifications. Then you can add the objective statement, the skills and qualifications, working experience and training. In the objective statement, write what type of job you are looking for and what skills you have to gain the job. In this section, you can also add your desire to apply for the position offered by the company.
In the abilities section, you can list general skills, but also specific skills you have gained as a paralegal. Mention your exceptional organizational and time-management skills. The working experience section has to describe your previous jobs; describe what were your main tasks and responsibilities and add the name of the position, the name of the company and the period of employment. The final section of your resume has to be about your training and education. Add the name of the degree, the school you attended and the location of the school.
Paralegals are usually required to have deep knowledge of legal terminologies, to have excellent organizational and management skills.
Paralegal Sample Resume
Name: Steward Robertson
Address: 92 Grant Street
Marital Status: Single
Birth date: 04.12.1978
From my experience, I can state that paralegals assist and help lawyers with paperwork and other duties of lawyers.
Looking for a challenging position as a paralegal in a growth-oriented organization, where I can fully utilize my strong management skills and my vast experience in the field
Hard-working and dynamic paralegal with strong analytical and expertise in studying legal impacts in judicial decisions; with excellent management skills and with the ability to coordinate and supervise a teamwork
Skills and qualifications
- Strong communication and management skills
- Excellent proofreading, editing and grammar skills
- Ability to work in a team and to motivate the working staff
- Proficiency in using computer applications
- Exceptional ERP software skills
- Deep knowledge in specialized laws
- Outstanding research and analytic skills
Paralegal, W.J. Bradley Mortgage Capital Corp, Denver, CO, 2005-present
Duties and responsibilities
- Helped and assisted lawyers with research on various cases
- Searched public records in order to find information on cases
- Responsible for interviewing clients or witnesses
- Collected and analyzed data regarding cases of lawyers
- Wrote legal documents for attorneys
- Wrote briefs and discovery documents
- Helped attorneys with the preparation of trials
Duties and responsibilities
- Verified and analyzed legal briefs and other legal documents for lawyers
- Wrote and analyzed legal documents
- Prepared and submitted various materials and documents for trials
- Scheduled appointments for attorneys
- Managed and coordinated filing requirements of documents
- Interpreted terms and conditions of documents for clients
- Wrote memos, articles, charts in order to be used by the attorney
Master's Degree in Law, New York University
Bachelor's of Law, New York University
Achievements and affiliations
Member of the American Alliance of Paralegals since 2007
Areas of interest
References available upon request