Patent Attorney Resume
These attorneys advise on legal, practical, technical or scientific aspects of industrial copyrights, designs, trademarks and patents and they are involved in the process of enforcing and obtaining intellectual property rights. Patent attorneys also monitor any possibility of infringement.
These professionals perform a variety of tasks, such as filling and preparing trademark registrations and patent applications, reporting any possible violations, litigating pending registrations and applications and prosecuting any violation of the patents or registrations of the organization.
Patent attorneys usually report to the head or manager of a department or unit, but they may direct and lead the work of other employees.
In order to become a patent attorney, you must be licensed to practice law, which means you need to pass the state bar, after getting a law degree. Besides being an attorney, candidates are typically required to obtain a degree in a technological field or in engineering, physics, pharmacology, chemistry, electronics technology, computer science or biology.
Besides these educational requirements, candidates for the position of a patent attorney will need to have four to eight years of experience in the area they work in or in a related field and must be able to rely on judgment and creativity, in order to accomplish the goals of the organization. Patent attorneys must also be constantly up to date with the different procedures, practices and concepts in the field they work in.
If you are interested in this career, take a look at the following resume sample.
Patent Attorney Sample Resume
Name: Susan Martin
Birth Date: 19 September 1974
Driver's License: No
Seeking to fill the challenging position of a patent attorney.
Education and Professional Training
- Bachelor's degree in chemistry from the New York University, New York in 1996
- U.S. registered patent attorney in 1998
- Strong knowledge of applying and developing legal drafting
- Ability to prepare, file and prosecute patent applications
- Excellent knowledge of contract litigations and negotiations
- Remarkable logical and analytical thinking skills
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills
- Well versed in the usage of Microsoft Word, Excel, Power Point and the Internet
- In-depth knowledge of compliance and audit processes
2004-Present date: Patent attorney for Storm Enterprises, New York
Duties and responsibilities:
- Assigning the tasks of drafting and negotiating patent and trademark applications and license agreements regarding intellectual property
- Litigating patents, trade secrets, trademark and copyright matters before federal and state courts
- Representing clients in criminal and civil matters, in trademark opposition and cancellation proceedings
- Handling investigations, plea negotiations and witness interviews
- Preparing trademark registrations and patent applications
Duties and responsibilities:
- Rendering opinions on infringement and validity of patents
- Negotiating patent licenses
- Providing professional legal advice to procurement personnel and contracting officers on patent matters
- Determining potential of granting patents on trademarks
- Litigating ending registrations and applications and reporting any possible violation
- Accomplished all the set goals regarding inventions, trademarks and intellectual property rights
Available upon request.