The job of the editor refers to reviewing, correcting or adding content to written materials, images, video or film before the product is finished. Usually, editors work in fields like advertising, magazines or newspapers. Editors have various tasks depending on the type of product being made. For example, newspapers editors are responsible for the local news department. Their main duty is to verify all the materials for any errors or misspellings and then publish them.
Magazine's editors check the layout, design, written materials before printing and make necessary adjustments when needed. The work duties of an editor include the following: preparing and editing copy in order to improve accuracy, verifying copy for errors, misspellings and making the necessary changes, checking statistics and dates before publication, developing ideas for articles.
Your Editor Resume definitely has to start with a powerful and enthusiastic objective statement. Write in one or two sentences why you want a job as an Editor and what skills you have for the job. In the next section, you have to add your skills, but highlight those that are applicable to an Editor position. For example, you can mention the ability to spot ideas for new articles, ability to manage a large group of creative individuals, the ability to use computer programs or good knowledge of the English language. The working experience is the next section; you have to add in your resume. Mention your previous positions from the most current to the least; describe what were your duties and responsibilities and how you helped your publication sell more copies. Don't forget to add your education and training. You have to know that the best qualifications for an Editor are a degree or a master's in English Language or Journalism.
Sample Editor Resume
Name: Diane Mitchell
Address: 23rd Ave Street
Marital Status: Single
Birth date: 19.08.1980
The job of the editor refers to reviewing, correcting or adding content to written materials, images or video before the product is finalized.
Seeking the opportunity to obtain a challenging position as an editor in a reputed organization where I can use my skills and experience in the field of Journalism.
Detail oriented, with excellent organizational, time management and leadership skills and with a strong experience as an editor
Skills and qualifications
- Excellent written and oral communication
- Excellent multi-tasking skills
- Proficiency in using the following computer programs : MS Office, QuarkXpress, Frame Maker, Adobe illustrator, Adobe Photoshop, Macintosh, PageMaker
- Ability to manage a large team of creative people
- Ability to spot the most important news and articles
- Ability to work in a team
- Ability to establish contacts and maintain a good report with clients
Senior Editor, IMC Inc., Washington, DC 2006-present
Duties and responsibilities
- Supervised and managed the team of creative writers and editors
- Involved in many aspects of the publishing process: content development, editing, production and marketing
- Developed ideas that gave a fresh look to important client marketing materials
Duties and responsibilities
- Created the message themes of the day, week and month
- Developed good ties with other journalists
- Responsible for handling the publication archiving
Master's Degree in Journalism, New York University
Bachelor's Degree in Journalism, Columbia University
Areas of interest
References available upon request