The interpreter is the person who is responsible for converting a speaker's message into another language. There are various types of interpreters: the one who interprets what a person says as he says it (simultaneous interpreter); the interpreter who waits until the speaker finishes and then interprets the message (consecutive interpreter); the one that interprets every sentence when the speaker pauses (liaison interpreter) and the one who converts spoken sentences into sign language or vice versa (sign language interpreter).
The work elements of an interpreter are: facilitating an efficient communication process between various clients in formal or informal meetings by using web communication tools when the interpreter is not in the same room as the speakers. The interpreter's tasks also involve assimilating words quickly, analyzing the speaker's statements, writing different notes, preparing documentation or organizing workload.
Start your Interpreter Resume with an objective statement. Add one or two sentences stating what job you are applying for and what skills and qualifications you have for the job. Make sure that your objective is targeted exactly for the person that the company is looking for. The next section of your Interpreter Resume has to be about your skills in the job. Make a bullet pointed list of your main skills in the job. Include skills like ability to translate the written and spoken word, indicate which languages you are proficient in.
One of the most important sections of your Interpreter Resume is presenting your professional experience. Describe what duties and tasks you performed as an Interpreter such as translating court readings, direct translation for colleagues who speak another language, and so on. The final section of your Interpreter Resume has to be about your training. You should be expected to have a degree in linguistics in a specific language such as French or Spanish; you also need a certificate allowing you to operate as an interpreter.
Sample Interpreter Resume
559 Pacific Ave
Marital Status: Single
Birth date: 28.07.1980
The interpreter is the person who is responsible for translating a speaker's message into another language.
To obtain a position as an Interpreter that will enable me to use my strong interpreting skills, my solid educational background and my vast experience.
Professional, motivated and talented interpreter with vast experience in language interpretation and a solid knowledge in the vocabulary of three languages.
Skills and Qualifications
- Excellent interpersonal, organizational, time management and analytical skills
- Ability to communicate clearly and concisely
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Extensive vocabulary in three different languages: French, English, Spanish
- Solid knowledge of the subjects that are to be interpreted
Court interpreter, The Superior Court of California, California, County of Orange, 2006-present
Duties and Responsibilities
- Translated from English to French and vice versa by using simultaneous modes at court hearings
- Made translations for court documents like court petitions, reports, and other types of documents
- Translated different statements and documents for judges, attorneys and other members of the court
- Translated between languages in court hearings
Duties and Responsibilities
- Prepared the calendar of cases to be called
- Examined legal documents submitted to court procedures, prepared case folders, and other documents
- Contacted witnesses and attorneys to obtain information for court
- Master's Degree in Language and Literature, Yale University, New York
- Bachelor's Degree in Language and Literature, Yale University, New York
Member of the American Literature Association
References available upon request