Story Editor Resume
A story editor has the responsibility to select written material and oversee staff writers who write scripts that are used in television or motion picture productions. The editor evaluates the writers' work, samples presented and other material received from different sources to select subjects and writers who are compatible with established concepts, formats and styles. S/he also recommends purchase of material judged to be appropriate in developing scripts, assists with production head on selecting writers and material, hires and assigns writers who create scripts for production. The story editor also reviews the material of writers and gives those instructions regarding corrections or additions, rewrites scripts when needed to meet the requirements of the director of production.
When you are writing a resume for the position of a story editor you should present all of your qualifications and skills in a professional representation because sometimes having the right background for the job does not do it at all. Besides your professional background and all the responsibilities you had, you should mention some personal traits such as level-headed and diplomatic because this job requires working with writers who may be emotionally attached to their scripts. Also mention you have excellent negotiating skills with a high level of politeness and as well the ability to stay calm even when the writers become insulting and angry. Of course, special skills like television production knowledge, writing talent and creativity must be mentioned in the resume as well.
Story Editor Resume Sample
Name: Michael Kent
Address: 123 Avenue, Atlanta, Georgia
Phone: (555) 555 7875
To work along with other professionals as Story Editor to achieve the needs and expand the growth of company.
Summary of Qualifications
- Solid knowledge of practical and technical aspects of film-making
- Strong knowledge of outlining script appeal to the film audiences
- Solid knowledge of the film and publishing communities
- Ability to develop story ideas and create the publication's editorial plan and strategy
- Strong communication skills, editing and proofreading
- Efficient with Microsoft Office Applications
Story Editor, May 2006-Present
Atlanta Free Press, Georgia
Duties and Responsibilities
- Reviewed written material and directed staff writers.
- Evaluated and analyzed writers' work during previous collaborations.
- Recommended purchase of material useful for creation of scripts.
- Assisted with production head regarding the recruitment of new writers.
- Authorized to offer excellent results.
The New York Times, Lexington
Duties and Responsibilities
- Recruited and directed writers who developed scripts for production
- Examined writers' work and conducted instruction regarding corrections, additions and changes
- Edited and rewritten draft scripts for production
- Examined stories and other material and determined potential for development into scripts
- Assigned other staff members to outline scripts and synopsis
- Creativity and Imagination
- Writing talent
- Knowledge of basic writing construction
- Organized and disciplined
- Intense appreciation of English
- Level-headed and diplomatic
- Negotiating skills
Bachelor's Degree in Creative Writing
Atlanta State College, Georgia