Yard Conductor Resume
A yard conductor has the responsibility of supervising and directing the activities of the crew performing the job of switching railroad cars within the yard of an industrial plant, railroad and other similar locations to facilitate the loading and unloading of cars.
A yard conductor has the duty to notify the yard engineer about switching orders and about which cars is going to be moved to a particular location of the yard by using verbal, radio, and telephone or hand signals. They also give instructions to switch tenders on how to throw track switchers, and to yard couplers on how to couple and uncouple cars. Additional tasks that a yard conductor may perform include keeping records, origin, destination, number of cars switched, and they may direct the activities of the switching crew from a caboose, locomotive cab or control tower. A yard conductor may also assist other workers to throw track switchers or to couple and uncouple cars and other additional activities involved in the field of switching railroad cars when needed.
When you are writing a resume for a position of a yard conductor, you should consider all the job requirements before you begin writing, in order to add all the necessary information for a positive and winning resume. For example, yard conductors must have finished some courses about electrical principles, computer training, which will increase the chances to get the job and good knowledge of the English language and speech, and also good communication skills.
Employers prefer their candidates to have at least a high school diploma and in order to be eligible of the job of a conductor you must pass exams that test your knowledge of timetables, signals, air brakes, and operating rules. As for other requirements, you must have a good physical condition, you must pass the test for drug use, you must possess the ability to lift 80 pounds objects, you should have good supervisory skills, excellent customer service skills, good working knowledge of instructing other workers, you must be self-sufficient and a dependable employee with quick reflexes.
Yard Conductor Sample Resume
Name: Andrew Bingle
Address: X Street, New York, USA
Phone: (555) 555 2332
Seeking a position as a Yard Conductor
Summary of Qualifications
- Knowledge of electrical principles
- Knowledge of the English language and speech
- Excellent communication skills
- Knowledge of signals, timetables, air brakes and operating rules
- Good physical condition with the ability to lift 80 pounds
- Ability to make fast decisions
- Quick reflexes
- Dependable employee
- Ready for immediate employment
C & R Railroad, New York, USA
Yard Conductor, 2003-Present
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Supervised and directed switch-engine crews
- Notified yard engineer of switching orders by radio, phone, verbal signals
- Directed switch tenders to throw track switchers, and gave instructions to yard couplers to couple and uncouple cars
- Kept records about the origin and number of cars switched
- Assisted other workers to couple and uncouple cars and other activities involved in switching railroad cars
- Supervised workers engaged in repair and maintenance of diesel locomotives
Associate Degree, General Education
New York Community College, 2001, New York, USA
Training on-the-job at C & R Railroad