Yard Supervisor Resume
Planning your resume is more difficult then writing it. Therefore, it is advised that when you sit down to plan your resume remember to keep with you a piece of rough paper to write down all the points that you wish to include in your resume. This helps you to decide which points to keep and which ones to exclude. A yard supervisor resume should also be planned and written in a successful manner. The following sample will give you details about the job of a yard supervisor and also provide you with a sample yard supervisor resume. Take the help of the sample given below to draft a great and winning resume.
A yard supervisor is a professional working in the rail transportation industry and they have the duty to supervise and direct yard workers and operations. Yard supervisors, also called yardmasters, instruct the train car assembly and disassembly processes and guide other yard workers where to move train cars in order to respect the initial train configuration.
Yard supervisors have managerial duties such as scheduling work shifts for yard workers, operational planning, checking railroads cars to make sure that they have the needed materials, and suggesting changes when needed to improve some of the yard operations. Yardmasters are also responsible for the operational and personal safety of the yard staff and railroad yard. Their position comes right after that of the train conductor and sometimes they perform his duties in case of his absence.
Employers prefer their candidates to possess at least a high school diploma, and some railroad companies ask for formal training before starting the job. However, some railroad firms offer on-the-job training, but it is an advantage for those who complete a formal training program within a community college. This type of work is physically demanding, so it is required that yard supervisors have a good physical health, including good eyesight, hearing, hand–eye coordination, color vision, manual dexterity, potential life-saving skills, and excellent mechanical aptitudes. As for other requirements, yard supervisor must have good communication skills, critical thinking skills, and they also must pass drug use and alcohol tests, and criminal background checks. If they are hired, these tests are repeated periodically on the job.
If you are writing a resume for the position of a yard supervisor, you should choose the skills and abilities that you possess and add them in your resume to convince the potential employer that you are the ideal candidate.
Yard Supervisor Sample Resume
Name: Paul Kent
Address: XXX Street, New York, USA
Phone: (555) 555 4322
Date: January 25, 2012
Seeking a position as a Yard Supervisor.
Summary of Qualifications
- Knowledge of construction industry
- Remarkable supervision skills
- Good physical condition including eye-sight, hearing and manual dexterity
- Excellent mechanical aptitudes
- Good communication skills
- Critical thinking skills
- Reliable and dependable employee
- Ready for immediate employment
Yard Supervisor, 2003–Present,
West Coast Construction Company, New York, USA
Duties and Responsibilities
- Supervised the work of other yard workers and operations
- Enforced safety policies as written
- Maintained a clean and neat yard
- Provided good customer service and courteous service
- Supervised company staff and customer operating in the yard, and directed driver supervision with shipper
- Performed managerial duties such as scheduling shifts for yard workers and recommending salary changes for staff
- Handled and stored all the materials and returns while lifting objects with about 100 lbs
- Provided periodical yard inventory
- Reported all non-routine maintenance needs for equipment
- Loaded materials for transfers and deliveries
- Investigated accidents in order to determine the cause of damage or accident
Associate Degree, Construction and Carpentry, 1999
New York City Vocational School, New York, USA
Areas of interest
Will be furnished upon request