Paralegal research and analyze, the law sources like legal articles and codes, constitutions, statutes or recorded judicial decisions. They also have to draft, verify or summarize legal documents like stock certificates, pleadings, wills, and briefs, articles of incorporation or trust instruments. After they have drafted and verified these documents, they will send them to be reviewed by an attorney.
They are also responsible for researching case laws, which are relevant to a case. They have to compare cases and facts and then validate them. Paralegals are responsible for performing preliminary research when preparing legal documents. They interview and follow-up with the clients and organize the documents of case proceedings or other paperwork.
The first things you have to add when writing your paralegal resume are the contact information with your name, address and phone number; then, you have to add a short introduction describing what this position means for you. You can also add the summary qualifications, describing your most important skills and qualifications. Then, you can add the objective statement, the skills and qualifications, working experience and training. In the objective statement, write what type of job you are looking for and what skills you have to gain in the job.
In the abilities section, you can list the general skills, but also specific skills you have gained as a paralegal. For example, you can mention your outstanding organizational and time-management skills. The working experience section has to describe your previous jobs; describe what were your main tasks and responsibilities and add the name of the position, the name of the company and the period of employment. The final section of your resume has to be about your training and education. Add the name of the degree, the school you attended and the location of the school.
Paralegals can work in the law offices or courtrooms and they help the lawyers with important documents and tasks. The most important skills of a paralegal are attention to details and patience.
Sample Paralegal Resume
Name: Steward Yarbrough
Address: 3892 Grant Street
Marital Status: Single
Birth date: 20.02.1980
From my experience, I can state that paralegals are professional workers who assist and help the lawyers with the paperwork and other duties of the lawyers.
Seek a challenging position as a paralegal in a growth-oriented organization where I can fully utilize my skills and experience
Motivated paralegal with strong analytical skills and expertise in studying the legal impacts in the judicial decisions; with excellent leadership skills and who can coordinate and supervise teamwork
Skills and Qualifications
- Strong leadership and time-management skills
- Ability to work in a team and to motivate the working staff
- Proficiency in using computer applications; ERP software skills
- Deep knowledge in specialized laws
- Outstanding research and analytic skills
Paralegal Specialist, Robert Half Legal, Atlanta, GA, 2005-present
Duties and responsibilities
- Responsible for verifying and analyzing legal briefs, motions or pleadings
- Managed and coordinated the responsibilities on established policies and regulations
- Prepared and interpreted various legal documents
- Organized materials and documents for civil and criminal trials
- Scheduled appointments, appearances and depositions
- Typed and sent memos and other documentation
Senior Paralegal Specialist, Sea Change International, New York, NY, 2000-2005
Duties and responsibilities
- Analyzed financial forms and confidential disclosure forms
- Offered advice assistance to employees on various technical problems
- Discussed with attorney advisers in order to resolve conflicts and issues
- Managed issues regarding cases and responded to legal questions
Master's Degree in Law, Yale University, Connecticut
Bachelor's of Law, Yale University, Connecticut
Achievements and Affiliations
Member of the Western New York Paralegal Association since 2004
Areas of interest
References available upon request